Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's Been an Amazing Summer Already

Alright, so I really didn't keep my promise to keep the blog updated. So, I've now promised myself to make no more promises concerning blogs. The number one reason....its a blog! And life is about WAY too many other things than to feel guilt over not updating a web page. With my shallow conscience assuaged, its been a great summer already. We spent an awesome weekend in Idaho with Clint and Tanya and Annie. Not only did we have a great time, but its just cool watching your niece grow up and develop her own individuality. Hopefully pictures will be posted soon (Clint and Tanya that's a hint to send em to us).

Sara is steadily finishing her training(she walked 18 miles last Saturday!) for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and if you haven't donated yet, then shame on you. This isn't about anything than helping to sure a disease that kills far too many women and even some men. You can remedy your own guilt at not supporting this cause by donating here: http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=3189513&pg=personal&fr_id=1283.

Then finally, there's always the God factor in what I do. I tend to pride myself on being very good at my job(which I am), however, I forget that I'm the business of watching GOD work, not letting God watch ME work. This past week, I got to see Him working. We did a series of carnivals at two local elementary schools for three days, and had over 300 kids come! That may not sound like much, but in a Western non-christian culture its incredible and totally rests on God. So, not to preach to much here, but I really love what I do. I know not all of you think its for real, but everyday I get to watch people's lives change and see their lives impacted by something much bigger than I am. If that doesn't make you want to get up, nothing will. We love all of you and as always, feel free to leave a comment or a sarcastic remark(just make it funny).

3 comments:

misslucyparker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
misslucyparker said...

Please don't put yourself on guilt trips for not keeping a blog updated...cause that means I'd need to feel guilty too. And I'm just beginning to learn how to not feel guilty about everything. Help me out here, Joe!

That deleted comment was me. I had typos and I'm developing some lovable OCD characteristics so I had to delete it and fix the typos. sheesh.

Stephen Gordon said...

Joe and Sara:

I didn't know you guys had this blog! Glad you linked to it in your comment Joe.

Sheralyn and I will be thinking about you Sara next weekend. Find your pace and stay hydrated!

On blogging, infrequent posting, and all that:

Blogging should never be a pain - something you feel obligated to do. Until you're paid to do it, it should always be fun.

A good way to make sure its fun is to have something you're exciting to say when you sit down (like your trip to Idaho, Sara's walk, the carnival, etc.).

I've notice that I blog poorly when I write an idea before I'm ready. The problem was that if I didn't blog the idea immediately it was gone. Poof! My brain had gone on to other things.

My solution was a self-addressed email. It's an email I'm always updating full of my ideas and idea fragments.

I try to read this email a couple of times a week. I've had stuff rattle around in that email 6 months before I got my hook - the angle that makes it interesting to talk about. Other stuff would happen in a day or two.

Readers love sequels. Go back and read your blog from the beginning. Often you'll find you've got more to say on a subject. It also gives you a chance to link back to yourself.